Story and photo courtesy of Indiana Athletics
- Indiana head football coach Kevin Wilson announced Wednesday the signing of 25 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent to play for the Hoosiers in 2012.
“We addressed our needs in a very positive manner.” Wilson said. “We were very aggressive in our sell and our approach with not only the player we were looking for, but also the individual and the student. Our staff did a tremendous job working to bring in this talented group of 25 young men.”
IU signed 13 defensive players, 11 offensive players and one athlete. The Hoosiers added six defensive linemen, four defensive backs and three linebackers on defense and four offensive linemen, two quarterbacks, two wide receivers, two tight ends and one running back on offense.
The class features players from 10 different states, including eight from Indiana, three from Illinois, three from Ohio, two from California, two from Florida, two from Georgia, two from Texas, one from Arizona, one from Mississippi and one from Missouri.
“We had a lot of great help along the way,” Wilson said. “Not only from our staff, but from our players, our administration, the academic community and other coaches, especially the basketball staff. Our recruits left campus with a positive vibe and we are pleased with the kids we got.”
Here is a list of Indiana’s 2012 signees:
Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown/Previous School
Jacarri Alexander LB 6-1 234 Winter Haven, Fla./Iowa Central C.C.
Jacob Bailey OL 6-5 285 Carmel, Ind./Cathedral H.S.
Dimitric Camiel OL 6-7 300 Houston, Texas/Westfield H.S.
Cameron Coffman QB 6-2 191 Peculiar, Mo./Arizona Western C.C.
Tevin Coleman RB 6-1 202 Tinley Park, Ill./Oak Forest H.S.
David Cooper LB 6-1 230 Lilburn, Ga./Coffeyville (Kan.) C.C.
Caleb Cornett WR 6-3 175 Indianapolis, Ind./Ben Davis H.S.
Kevin Davis WR 5-11 175 Indianapolis, Ind./Warren Central H.S.
Dan Feeney OL 6-4 302 Orland Park, Ill./Carl Sandburg H.S.
Dawson Fletcher DB 6-0 190 West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West H.S.
Ralphael Green DL 6-5 320 San Antonio, Texas/Sam Houston H.S.
Shawn Heffern DL 6-6 245 Carmel, Ind./Carmel H.S.
Ricky Jones ATH 5-10 170 Sarasota, Fla./Booker H.S.
Tanner Kearns TE 6-5 225 Lexington, Ohio/Lexington H.S.
Adam Kranda DL 6-6 240 New Castle, Ind./New Castle H.S.
Nick Mangieri DL 6-5 240 Peoria, Ill./Dunlap H.S.
Antonio Marshall DB 5-11 190 Pitts, Ga./Georgia Military College
Justin Rayside DL 6-3 246 Corona, Calif./Riverside (Calif.) C.C.
Wes Rogers OL 6-4 285 Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence Central H.S.
Jason Spriggs TE 6-7 265 Elkhart, Ind./Concord H.S.
Nathan Sudfeld QB 6-5 215 Modesto, Calif./Modesto Christian H.S.
Ryan Thompson DB 5-10 186 Pontotoc, Miss./Itawamba (Miss.) C.C.
Alex Todd DL 6-3 285 Streetsboro, Ohio/Streetsboro H.S.
Jordan Wallace LB 6-0 230 Indianapolis, Ind./Warren Central H.S.
Tregg Waters DB 6-0 185 Phoenix, Ariz./Glendale (Ariz.) C.C.
Notes on Class:
* Jacarri Alexander, Cameron Coffman, David Cooper, Justin Rayside, Ryan Thompson and Tregg Waters are currently enrolled in classes for the spring semester and will participate in spring practice.
* Nathan Sudfeld took a mission trip to Uganda as a 14-year old. His brothers, twins Matthew and Zach, played college football. Matthew was a wide receiver at Brown University (2007-11) and Zach was a tight end at the University of Nevada (2007-11).
* Kevin Davis and Jordan Wallace are brothers.
* Shawn Heffern was recruited by defensive tackles coach Mark Hagen, who also attended Carmel High School
* Nick Mangieri’s brother, P.J., is a senior long snapper at the University of Nebraska. His uncles, Ed and Dan Sutter, both played linebacker at Northwestern University. Ed also played five seasons in the NFL (Cleveland, Baltimore and Atlanta).
* Cameron Coffman’s father, Paul, was a standout tight end at Kansas State University as well as the Green Bay Packers (1978-85) and the Kansas City Chiefs (1986-87). He was a teammate of IU safety Mark Murphy’s father, Mark, with the Packers. Cameron’s brother, Chase, played tight end at the University of Missouri (2005-08) and the Cincinnati Bengals (2009-10). His brother, Carson, played quarterback at Kansas State University (2007-10).
* Jacob Bailey was a high school teammate of IU wide receiver Kofi Hughes, safety Jake Zupancic and linebacker Kyle Kennedy. Wes Rogers was a high school teammate of IU quarterback Tre Roberson. Tanner Kearns was a high school teammate of IU safety Shaquille Jefferson.
* Caleb Cornett is the first Ben Davis product to sign with the Hoosiers since current Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Tandon Doss (2008-10).
* Alex Todd was the first commitment to the 2012 signing class and Tanner Kearns was the first to turn in his NLI this morning.